Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Big News!

 A new resident has joined the work room as 



I am now the proud owner of a Bernina 820.

This machine was a donation to a local quilting club. 

They were selling it to raise funds for additional quilting materials. 

I had mentioned, at our monthly meeting,

 that my bigger machine I used for quilting lost its timing. 

It was getting quite costly to repair. 

Now it is a parts donor machine at the repair shop.

Anyway, I haven't been intimidated 

by anything in a long time,

but this machine has a lot of 

bells and whistles that I have yet to learn.

Here is my first block made with my new quilting partner. 



I found the tension a little tight. 

I was getting a tiniest bit of rippling in the seams. 

 I'll just rethread again and that may take care of the problem

It certainly sews fast.

 I'm not even up to half speed yet!

I would like to get a bit more comfortable before I try to quilt.

There  are two, pinned Legacy quilt tops on the to do pile.  

I would like to get them quilted it up this month.


The box that came with this new machine is pretty incredible .

It's more like a wagon for sewing machines.

It has a lovely pull handle and 

can carry  two small children in a pinch. 

Retreat supplies will fit nicely.



Next up on my sewing schedule,

 aside from doing more UFOs, is a 

project just found during with an estate clear out.

I was gifted a big bin of fabric and it turned

out to be mostly Halloween!

There was a pattern in the box that looked interesting 

 but I knew there was an easier way to put the pattern together.

I called my incredibly organized BB.

She remembered where we did it and managed 

to pull out the pattern! It really pays to have an organized friend!

 It is called "a shaded four patch".

 You end up with a square sitting next to a bigger triangle.


It's just wonderful and  should work 

very well with those Halloween fabrics.

I also have a very lovely Halloween panel

 that on the reverse of the quilt.

I'll end up making a two-sided Halloween  quilt.

I can't see it being given as a wedding quilt so I

 think I will actually be able to keep this one.

One of my quilting buddies youngest members 

is now engaged so we do all feel a wedding 

quilt coming on. 



Stay safe and sew on.

Linking up with:

Design Wall Monday

Monday Musings

Sew & Tell

To Do Tuesday

Wait Loss Wednesday

Put Your Foot Down

Midweek Makers

Free Motion Mavericks

Needle & Thread Thursday

Design Wall Friday

Finished or Not Friday

Beauty Pageant

RSC 2024

Patchwork & Quilts





8 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy that new machine. I recently bought a new one too, and it has been a little learning curve but not too steep. Have fun creating with that bag of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will have a great time with Halloween fabric. Hopefully I will get something underway before it is time for ...Christmas fabric!!

      Delete
  2. How nice of someone to donate that machine to your guild to raise funds! You'll have lots of fun with it once you get used to all the bells and whistles. That tote is called a Tutto. They are very nice and will cart not only your machine but all your stuff to a retreat. You really lucked out there. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/10/02/wednesday-wait-loss-401

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I am very excited to get into sewing it!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Deb, good luck with getting to know your new-to-you machine. Tension is always tricky but once you've figured it out, it should be smooth sailing. Have fun with your Halloween fabrics and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Christmas before time! It's exciting to play with a new toy, and I'm sure that you will be able very soon to quilt beautifully the tops on the line. Have fun with the Halloween fabrics and project too! Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete