Thursday, August 25, 2022

OMG August

 Well, here we are, the last month of summer and 

what are we looking at ? 

 TA DA and whole bunch of stars! 



All four, yes four of the string star tops are complete

and ready for layering and quilting!! 



They are destined 

to grace the homes of our four children. 

I did check with the quilting DILs  and they are not planning on making their own so the coast was clear. 

The first two have great use it up, crumb pieced, not ticker tape,

oh wow it looks great borders.




  I had made them up after being 

overwhelmed by scraps and inspired by the Just Get It Done quilter

Karen Brown.  Not being a big fan of paper on the back anymore, I 

used a favorite ruler as a template for size and sewed like a demon

one snowy winter nite. 




 The pile hung on the wall in the parts department

for months and then were pressed into very successful service.

The next two really had me stumped for the outside add on.  

I had used up all the crumbs strips and 

wanted to use ready made something for the outside. 

 Nine patches wouldn't work and I only had a small pile finished. 

Just strips didn't seem to work with the theme 

so I pulled out the box of half squares and 

a narrow sawtooth border was born. 


The inner crumb beige borders brought each quilt up to a comfortable size so the narrow sawtooth is a great finisher. 





I got so excited I put it on both #3 & #4!

Surprisingly, no 1/2 squares were

created in the making of these borders!

  Many of these were downright historical. 

I segregate the sizes in various boxes, 

so there is always an element of adventure 

ala Indiana Jones when 

I go looking. 


A few 4 inchers were trimmed down to suit 

but that is just resizing so doesn't count. 

We do get to make our own rules in quilting don't we? 

That is why I love it so.

Next up is all the quilting, 

the month to come will certainly be busy! 

Retreats for the first time in almost 3 years,

lots of self imposed goals to hit and healing for everyone.

 Stay safe and sew on ! 

Linking up with :

OMG

TGIFF



6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Four fabulous string star quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There will be at least one more of RSC colors , but for now. Four!

      Delete
  2. Four lovely finishes - congratulations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good things! The tops are lovely and you will get them done. I love that you had enough HSTs! The retreat will be so.much.fun! It is good to sew with our friends for a few days...one of the best things we quilters do for ourselves. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited for retreat! It has been quite a while! Looking forward to quilting month too!

      Delete