Monday, February 6, 2023

Bags, bags, who needs a bag!?

 It seems I am on a sorting binge and 

instead of buttons, alphabetically next are bags!



I started on the bags when a big bin of scraps tipped over

taking the tv remote, phone and a pin cushion with it!

The pins and the remote fell into the bags and since

I had to move them anyway, 

it was a good time to get all the bags out. 

The pile turned out to be quite sizable. 

I have a total of 17 bags of all shapes and sizes. 

Four of the bags are big subway bags which are 

great for carrying quilts to meetings or for dropping off 

donation quilts. I do think four is a little excessive.  I've 

offered them to my sewing group so I should be able to 

share that wealth.  


Let's start with the largest to the smallest and see if 

some of them have to go.

The biggest (non food bag) is a great kit bag 

that was a door prize at a guild retreat. 



 I actually won it!! Finding out that 

overloading is a problem is it's flaw and I use it for 

poufy project with minimal weight!  Too many tools

makes it very heavy and awkward. It has lots of pockets 

and is almost 6" wide so it is easy to overload it.

 

 The next one if the most useful I have.  It came with a

built in ironing board. I had to replace the fabric on the 

ironing board side after a fusible web misadventure. It will hold

a folding mat or an 18" X 24 " one as well as an assortment of 

tools in clear pockets. 




 Leaving out the tools and mat, it can 

even hold 3 shoe box sized project boxes and still zip. 

It is great for a retreat bag or taking folded tops for display

or show. The only draw back is the zipper is very close to 

the ironing portion and is in danger of being melted. It hasn't 

happened yet tho so either I have been lucky or it  has

painted metal teeth. 

Next is one of a set I got ages ago. It matched 

a wheelie sewing machine bag that had to be recycled 

when the wheels broke off and couldn't be repaired.



This bag will four of my shoebox projects 

storage boxes or three flat project boxes.  Definitely a keeper.  

Then I have 2 of these Canada 150 bags. These were on 

sale at a knitting shop one of my buddies wanted to visit 

during a shop hop. They fit a featherweight machine

perfectly but one of the bottoms wore out so I think

I will relegate both of them to the grocery bag box. 



They are handy for toting things to a sew morning so 

they will also be on reserve if needed. 

Then there is the great big quilt bag. 



Everyone I knew made one. It uses a

meter of fabric for the outside , one for the liner

and has a gathered handle. It does hold a large 

quilt but it takes a little doing. I may keep it for nostalgia 

or donate for the load lightening. 

Next is this wonderful IKEA bag. It can go 


back to store bag box but it has great 

pockets and a cross body handle. I will 

have to keep it away from my adult children!



Then there is another shoulder cross body bag 



It has a wonderful inside and it is 

great for shows etc. but how many does one need. 

It may be off for donations too!

I have a lovely tote from Mexico but 

it is starting to fall apart.  It is a gift from a

friend so I may recycle it into placemats or a 

wall hanging as a memento. 


Getting nearer the end now with two business type bags

that definitely have to stay.



The first is a guild bag.  It has a nice zip pocket on the side and even 

water bottle pocket. I could offer it back to a guild member, 

hmm that is a possibility!


The next is a cruise line bag.

Special to me since my daughter danced on the 

ships for almost 5 years. Maybe she would like to 

share the memories!

Last two up, work bags!




The first I will keep and begin using it 

instead of the large work box I usually take to 

workshops etc.

The next and last is a small bag I made when 

I thought I might be a hand stitcher but alas

it was not meant to be. 





This little bag and its assorted hexies will 

hopefully go on to be loved by someone else!

That appears to be the end of the great bag sort. 

It turned out to be a bit easier than I thought!

Here they are, all tidy in the quilt top vault!




Stay tidy!










1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your "bag lady" tour. I have several of those jumbo bags from library conferences. When they are loaded with books they're too heavy to lug! But at home the size is perfect for quilts.

    ReplyDelete