Friday, January 20, 2023

Blue on Blue on Blue!!!

 Stitching along into the month and lots of 

blue is on the work table. 

The fiddle sticks are pinned up where they 

wont be misplaced and the Scrappy Irish chain is progressing.

 The light blues are all sewn up nice and 

I will start working 

on the darker blue shortly. 


The picture technique of my pattern 

making wasn't going smoothly so I visited the

Martindale books web site and found the book:

"Irish Chain Quilts Contemporary Twists on a Classic Design" by

 Melissa Corry, available and on sale. 

Even with my limited online shopping skills, 

I had a pdf copy on my laptop within minutes at an 

extremely reasonable price!  It turns out, a large scrap

crumb square is made first and then the necessary 

squares are cut as needed. 

 A pair of mittens was even sewn up at a workshop but alas, 

I ended up with the wrong precut pattern 

pieces and the end results are too small for my farmgirl

hands. They are pretty and I learned a bit about

sewing felted wool!


I made a big decision this week. I am 

going to attempt to tame more scraps by making 

wonky log cabins in each month's color to use up 

the bins of scraps lurching under my work table!!

Those pictures got censored out but here is the 

start of this month's blue wonky log cabin. 



Two local charities are needing quilts 

larger than crib size and the 8" block makes it 

quick to build, (see what I did there, building log cabins!!)

A recent zoom meeting had me stitching up ten blocks

and attending to business so great multitasking for me!

This week I am going to work on the some log 

cabins, more RSC blocks and plan the finishing

for the leftovers from last year's RSC.  

Some great advice from a zoom has me eager to finish them!

A little sorting is happening too!  See that here!

Stay safe and sew on !

Linking up with :

Finished or Not Friday

Off the Wall Friday

Friday Foto Fun

Can I get a Whoop Whoop!

To do Tuesday

Design Wall Monday

Sew and Tell

Monday This and That

Patchwork and Quilts

Wait Loss Wednesday






18 comments:

  1. Blues all over the table here too! Pretty Irish Chain in blues. Making wonky log cabin blocks in RSC colors is a great idea using up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blue Irish Chain is so pretty and fresh! Pretty gloves! I read somewhere, “I either succeed or I learn.” So true. Pretty Log Cabins, too! Love those center colors! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work with your scraps. The mittens look great - shame they dont fit tho. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mittens are adorable. They will be great when you find someone with tiny hands. Lots of great blues this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh Love yuor scrappy Irish chain blocks... and um, I think I have some of those around here.... hmmmm maybe a UFO in hiding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I created another ufo this evening myself! Sometimes a pattern just calls my name!

      Delete
  6. Sweet-looking Irish chains and the wonky log cabins are shaping up. It's a good go on the blues. Sorry the mittens don't fit. Next set will be yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I will keep my eyes open for some nice wool to felt!

      Delete
  7. I keep trying but my scraps never seem to go down much. I like how the Irish chain is done with a large crumb (improv) square! It pays to pay for a pattern - imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. certainly and the price was reasonable. Lots of great ideas in the book too.

      Delete
  8. Your light blue blocks are very beautiful, I love that you used rectangles instead of squares. Pretty mittens too, I'm sure next time they will fit nicely. Great idea for charity quilts, these log cabins are colorful and lovely.
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I love to visit everyone, such wonderful ideas but the conversations and chatty news is my reason for going!

      Delete
  9. Hi Deb,
    Good plans to use up more scraps. I like all log cabin blocks, and yours are very pretty. It makes sense to make a larger scrappy square and the cut out the shapes you need from it. Thanks for teaching me a new technique. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa Corry for that idea! Funny how something is so obvious after someone points it out!!! It will transfer to lots of other things too!

      Delete
  10. Way to go on the scrap taming! I certainly need to join you! So many are doing the blue on blue thing--I haven't even had the chance to see what it is! I need to go check it out I guess. Bummer on the mittens not fitting (I have those farm girl hands! My fingers are kinda short but the actual hands are big!) but they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved seeing all the RSC blue blocks this month. Such a pretty color. Looks like you are well on your way! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your scrappy blue Irish Chain is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the look of your blue Irish chains - I do like blue and white together :) Thanks for joining in on Monday This and That! xx

    ReplyDelete