Monday, May 30, 2022

Set the Timer!


This week will be a catch up 

week, recovering from a fantastic 

train trip thru the Rocky mountains.


 A recent influx of scraps has 

made me very happy but a bit overwhelmed. 

Never fear tho, the blog verse will provide. 

I have a good friend and we chat every morning 

and go thru  a few blogs to see news and new ideas. 

We ran into ... SCRAP VORTEX

 This should come with a bit of an echo. 

It may really help with my scrap load!

It is basically crumb quilting but uses only right angles. 

The lack of other angles definitely creates a different look!

The original post came from 2015, and although the maker

has retired from blogging, there is still lots of info on her site. 

My plan is to work on this project every day I am sewing!!

 I am going to try  crumb blocks using on triangles also

since I seem to accumulate cut offs at an alarming rate!

An ambitious idea but I can do it!  A fifteen minute 

goal will help get me started. Once it is moving along , 

I will try to incorporate it into my Stop and Gos.  A bit 

under the needle at each beginning and ending will certainly 

cut down on rethreading! 

 My little singer only has a human needle threader! 

I've pulled out a shoe box of scraps to cut 

and the remainder will be the start of the vortex.

I started this morning with a 15 minute sort.

The job is not done tho, until the bits sorted are 

sewn or in proper storage , almost there!




I do have 2 stacks of pieces to use as starters 

for some wonky log cabins or crumbs. 

They are small but too many to discard. 



I am finishing up the greens too! 

I am doing some zen quilting so I don't always count

how many blocks I need. A bit more sewing for 

the bottom row, some mixing to get good variety

and this round can be finished! One more to go!



June's RSC is blue so I did up bunch of blue

string blocks for my in progress family quilt.

Figured out that a lot of my design boards are 

9 inches so I can lay out my squares without a 

ruler underneath for a guide. To make the job even 

easier, I used tape as a guide on my larger boards. 

We are always learning aren't we!




To top everything off, another young

friend is engaged so there is another wedding

quilt to work on! 

I am moving up to the summer sewing room!

The trees are all blossoming and the air smells

delightful. Happy sewing as we move into summer

and on to the blues!

A quickie stash and sew report is due. 

Let's see how I did! 

So the total for April for stitching is:

First up , my sewing time.

Jan  23/31

Feb 19/28

Mar 27/31

Apr 15/30

May 23/31

70% success so far!

2022 STASH TOTALS

Used last week:           0 m
Used year to date:     55 m
   Added last week:            0.0 m
Added year to date:      57 m

Net added in 2022      2 m 


 I am trying to get moving forward with lots of projects and 
I certainly have a lot to choose from.

Stay safe and sew on !

Linking up with :

RSC 2022

Oh Scrap 

15 minutes to stitch

Monday Makers 

Design wall Monday

To Do Tuesday!

Midweek Makers

Wait Loss Wednesday

Put Your Foor Down!

Finished or not Friday

Off the Wall Friday

Friday Foto Fun





15 comments:

  1. How exciting about your train trip! I bet it was great fun. I love Amanda, and I have her two books. I think it is great that she leaves no scrap behind - lol! Looking forward to seeing your Scrap Vortex.
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need another ufo! I can't wait to get started!

      Delete
  2. I love the quilt you are working on. What a great idea. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ! Playing catch up but actually have a guild meeting in person! Woot Woot! I will wear a mask tho.

      Delete
  3. You have so many cute projects going. Your stash usage looks darn good. IE you only added 2 m to the collection. Not bad. Hope you can succeed with some scrap taming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a granny's sale in July tho, very tempting to add lots!

      Delete
  4. First of all, a train trip through the Rocky Mountains sounds pretty amazing! I've always loved the scrap vortex quilt. I'll have to dig into my scrap basket, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The train was fantastic. I do love mountains and trees. We also met so many interesting people from all over the world traveling thru our Canadian Rockies!

      Delete
  5. Love your scrappy hourglass quilt. It just keeps growing and getting prettier and prettier! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a favorite, the low volume fabrics are very interesting and the color enchant me. Fabric never ceases to facinate!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you'll be doing some pretty serious scrap busting! You go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do dream big! Not always successful but just like yoga, it is all about intention!!

      Delete
  7. You've got some fun projects in the work. Happy scrappy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I've moved a small machine up stairs to the kitchen and can enjoy the sun and stitching at the same time!

      Delete
  8. Your scrappy hour glass quilt is looking good!

    ReplyDelete