Friday, February 25, 2022

Family Day Fun

 Here in Canada we have a newer holiday

called Family day.  We contact distant 

family and spend time with those 

nearby.  It is a great time midwinter 

to delight in the joy of belonging!

We connected with 3 of 4 offspring sets

and really enjoyed the day!

The quilt vault is getting crowded and there 

are occasions that need to be noted so a bunch of 

backs need to be stitched up pronto!



I  pulled out fabrics and started cutting

20" squares.  A grid of 5 x 5 gives a 

nice sized 100" back. Unfortunately,

I had one of those evenings where my 

color sense failed me and I ended up 

with an incohesive mess, so back to 

the drawing board. Here is my

pile of rejects!



Refocusing and some thought later and I now 

have one complete back and 2 more stacks

of 25 squares ready to stitch.





Learning from the the failure:

pick saturated colors, avoid large 

novelty prints and if I like it , use it!

A weekend pinning party should get 

at least 2 flimsies pinned up for 

quilting in March. 

The pile of teals for February , had 

me sewing up some 25 patches for the block bank. 



They match size-wise with a goodly 

pile of wonky stars I have. 

see another top ready to create in there!




Of course with the backs being pulled out, 

I want to finish up another top. The center 

portion for the APQ sew along has been 

in the vault since last summer. 



Like many UFOs I have, it was missing some 

blocks. It appears I failed to cut the strips 

for the border! 



 A dedicated few hours of 

cutting and two zoom meetings stitching, 

has only netted enough border for one side!



It is a doozy of a top tho! I did expand 

the border by a few inches to make it more

suitable for the modern trend of king sized 

beds. After a morning walk it will be 

back to the mat to cut/trim out some 

additional border strips. Some of the 

reject pile will make perfect additions to the border!


I have a wonderful quilt card at a local shop for 

longarm quilting and used it to finish up 

my Aliens Have Landed quilt!


This quilt finishes up at a comfortable 84" X 85" 
and will soon be gifted out for a house warming gift. 



It does have one of my favorite border treatments, a 
great piano key. 

I am still amazed that I had this much grey fabric!
This quilt was inspired by a magazine article
but looks entirely different than the design. 
I rarely follow directions but I do play well with others!

The corner treatment worked very well and 
almost designed itself from leftover bits. 








  



19 comments:

  1. Very beautiful scrappiness! I do love the stars with the 25 patches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, those stars are really addicting to make too!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a holiday - Family Day! Love that Aliens Have Landed quilt. It's beautiful and will be loved by the recipients, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything that promotes family , is a good idea isn't it? Have a great week quilting!

      Delete
  3. I love The Aliens Have Landed quilt and the 25 patch blocks look great with the stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wont it tho? Now I want to just all over the 25 patch colors. Not sure what next month's color is, it shoule be up this morning???!!!

      Delete
  4. I'll have to reconsider my 10.5" squares for pieced backings, as your 5 x 5 grid sounds SEW much quicker to assemble, Deb!! Nice work on your RSC blocks for AQUA/TEAL month. Congratulations on that lovely quilt finish, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , and the large 20" squares for the back do go together quickly. My only problem is the wealth of projects out there that I want to try!!! Sew much to do!

      Delete
  5. So many pretty fabrics. Aliens Have Landedis an amazing quilt! Love the giant piano key borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That piano key border is a real go to for me, and a great scrap eater!

      Delete
  6. Your Quilt Vault is amazing!
    Aliens have landed looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is fun to look thru when motivation is lagging! And they stay so nice and wrinkle free!

      Delete
  7. I love what you have been working on. Aliens have landed is beautiful, do you sew strips then sub cut the triangles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes that is the technique I used . Strip sets then cut the triangle sets. You just need to make sure you have long enough sets to get a whole round unit. A challenge when you try to use up scraps! Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  8. Whew! That APQ quilt is amazing and looks amazingly laborious! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely correct! Laborious is the word! But fun tho. You know it is time to stop for the day when you start sewing joining borders rows and half are on backwards! Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  9. Wow so much busy-ness and inspiration. Aliens have landed is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, thank you! You have just helped me decide what to do with my RSC-2022 blocks! Your 25 patches and stars are just right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a wonderful collection of eye candy you have here. I love that we have Family Day here in Canada; it certainly does help break up the winter.

    ReplyDelete