Monday, January 15, 2024

When it's winter in Alberta, it's 40 below!

Well we're still in a deep freeze here,

when it's cold, quilter's quilt!

This zigzag's chevron quilt really took a nice

chunk out of my two and a half in strip box.




 The low volume, a fabric pile got a good hit too with

all the low volume alternate strips.



I chose to work on all eight columns at a time.

It was very easy and speedy

when the columns were shorter.

Once they got longer, they started to

hang over the back of the machine and

pull on the stitching.
Creative piling prevented that from being

an issue,and the end result is as you see here.




Today's temperatures are once again down,

hovering around −30.

It will another day for finishing up the chevron

quilt and possibly working on some

more outstanding projects.

Trimming up and then back on the wall.




Each column will finish at 61/2" wide,

but overall, it is a little bit narrowand

a little too short for a twin. I'll add one whole

column and put another section on each row

to finish the size around 58" wide and about 70' long.

This is not the final arrangement. There are

an odd and even rows so here is the new layout.



One row has a mind of its own, so it is

going to be the last row on the left.

Did you see it in the mix?

There is alway room for an odd fellow in my quilts!


I did find 2 really nice quickie quilts

to do while visiting my favorite blogs yesterday ,

so I will try to avoid those squirrels until later today.


I do love a chevron!
Stay safe and so on.


Linking up with :


Design Wall Monday 

Monday Musing

Handmade Monday

10 comments:

  1. I spent 45 years in the Edmonton area, and almost all my family is there so I have heard about the deep freeze (common in January) -59 windchills on the weekend, -47 actual temp at my aunt's farm yesterday...do not miss that stuff for a nanosecond. Isn't chain-sewing just the best? And yay for using lots of the stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the chain piecing too. I have only purchased 1 m of fabric this year so I'm digging in . I keep finding new projects tho. We are still freezing ,i have 1 pair of socks on , slippers , a scarf and a hoodie! Our house is warm but just knowing the temp outside is making me feel chilly!!

      Delete
  2. your chevrons look really nice with the low volume strip separating the 'busier' strips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is moving along, I always have trouble at the end, I forgot to carefull keep an eye on the center line. I wil figure it out tho. Happy sewing!

      Delete
  3. The chevrons are lovely - and such a nice way to use those strips. I'm feeling slightly "warmer" now just reading your post about -40. Our South Dakota windchills got to -47 during the weekend, but thankfully today it might get above zero briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , I have changed the design a bit so it should finish up nicely.

      Delete
  4. Your chevron quilt will be gorgeous! I've lived with those chilly temps and it can be brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , we are out of the deep freeze but I am still sewing away !

      Delete
  5. I love chevron quilts, Deb. This is going to be awesome!! We are cold here in the south too, but will be warming up, possibly to 70, by Friday...but with rain and storms! Such is our weather! LOL Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! The chevrons are giving me a problem, but I will sort them out. They do look great. We are out of the deep freeze and hovering around 14 below.

      Delete