Monday, August 21, 2023

Pop up Sew Day

 A sew day popped up this weekend and 

wow did I get in some stitching!  

The big work table was cleared, 

walking foot mounted and I was on my way!

The smaller project was started and the 

blue log cabin from January was first under 

the needle. 


This top measures   62" x 78"and has a backing made

of 20" squares from my stash.  Making this 

type of backing seems to incorporate some fabrics 

that are low in supply and clear a bit of room 

on the shelves as well. 


The log cabin pattern lends itself to almost any

quilting design. I pulled out a completed pink quilt, 

and found the quilting followed the color borders.

This blue one is getting a side to side wave. 

It covers the area well and is fun to do!

Stitching with a bunch on the Idiot Quilter's 

pop up, made the process very entertaining.

Thirty plus quilters joined up and a visitor

from Australia even "popped" in! 

Stay stitching the blue right before lunchtime,

let me get to trimming first thing in the afternoon. 



So much sewjo was flowing that I jumped right 

in  to start on a big block string that has been waiting

since the year ended in a zero!!

The  86" x 86"  lovely got a horizontal wavy line 

treatment and wow does it work!  


I seem to have forgotten how 

much fun actually quilting a project is!! Ensuring 

the weight of the sandwich is supported by a table 

or even, yes, an ironing board really impacts the

ease of moving the project under the needle!

    The end of the work day at 3:30 CT ,(most participants

are from out East),  saw another round of stay stitching!

After a nice trim I could call two tops quilted!!! 


If the binding goes smoothly, 

next week will see 2 quilts complete. The stash

report will be changing significantly!

Stay safe and sew on!


Linking up with:

Design Wall Monday 

Patchwork & Quilts

Sew & Tell

Monday Musings

To Do Tuesday

Midweek Makers

Wait Loss Wednesday

Needle and Thread Thursday

Put Your Foot Down

Finished or Not Friday

Design Wall Friday

Whoop Whoop

Peacock Party

Friday Foto Fun

RSC 2023

Oh Scrap!







16 comments:

  1. Wel done Deb! I love these gentle curves quilting designs, easy to sew and pretty to look at! Congratulations for the very soon 2 finishes ;)
    Thank you for sharing your motivation, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. It sure is rewarding to have a few finished, (or close to it!)

      Delete
  2. Gosh you got so much done in that open sew! I'm thrilled for you, and for me because I can't wait to see these two finished. The little parts you've shown tell me how pretty they are. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell,

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/23/wednesday-wait-loss-342

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I do love the linky parties. And yes , I got them bound!

      Delete
  3. I made a rainbow colored string quilt, quilt as you go with black in between. Yours reminds me of the fun I had making it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very fun to make aren't they! I do a smaller one ( 5" squares) when a couple doesn't have a wedding quilt and has a baby.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your goal of 2 finishes. :) Thanks for joining Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choice on the wave quilting! Looks great on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun to do, I may be repeating it often!

      Delete
  6. Nice progress on your quilting! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're on a roll! Go, girl! The finish line is SO close. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certai ly had a very productive day. That's a great idea to stitch backings using large stash squares , I must remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzer. You are a quilting machine. (Or at least that day you were.) I like the idea of single color quilts. My blue scraps overflow so I'm thinking it might be time to do some string quilts with that. What size and how did you make those string blocks you showed in the last half. Maybe you should do a post on how you make string blocks and what size strings you prefer. I generally use paper but it is such a mess and more work. It's time for me to consider some other way to make them. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really got so much done on you Pop up sew day, Deb! Love the blue log cabin. Love the curved quilting motif! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go!!! that was a great sew day!!!

    ReplyDelete