Monday, April 22, 2024

Bright Weekend Sewing

 I think sitting in the sun and putting down my thoughts

is one of the reasons I like to blog.  



How many of us dreamed of being writers, 

making it big with a best seller?

I am content just sharing some thoughts and some creative

works with like minded people ! 

A nice segway into the product from the first retreat of season.

    It was held by a group I joined in the new year.  I wanted to 

meet some new friends and go to a nearby meeting and this 

group fit the bill.   

We arrived to find some great goodies for us.

One item was a little project kit in the theme of the

weekend, fruit!

It had lots of different techniques in the making so 

we had lots of interaction and learning!  Curved 

piecing, paper piecing, a zipper, lining and color

planning!  A few of us finished in an afternoon and 

came home with this adorable zippered fruit pouch!





First up for me tho, was stitching ups some Terri Rowland

blocks.  They are little scrappy 3 1/2" cut blocks that will

eventually make a color wash twin size top. Easy to do

while setting up and greeting old friends and making new ones. 

They sewed up quickly so I had success within hours of arriving!



Finished up the first night joining stacks of blocks.

Almost the last of the log cabin blocks went together 

into a twin sized top.

  

Then a little pineapple top for the upcoming arrival was 

put together. The back I had didn't sparkle to me so that 

went back in the box.  Later, I traded it for a lovely piece

of  yellow flannel. 


A random cloud of inspiration (distraction) came

 into my sewing room one evening and I cut 

way too many 1 1/2" strips. They sewed

up into 48 11 1/2" family color squares.  Yes, that is a very 

unique size. Late night sewing makes for strange pattern reading!

Anyway, they all got stitched into tops, and I now have three very 

adorable color bombs.  Two tops were completed at retreat,  

with the third getting its stripy binding a home. 

 One is quilted  and ready for the quilt show 

once it gets a sleeve and  a label.





Guess where some of those color family

 log cabin blocks ended up?



So many scraps were on my mind that the last day became 

good time to sew off into the sunset and on into starlight. 

Some color crumbs surrounded by wonky stars from the 

block bank dazzle. The crisp white seems to 

enhance the crumbs so well it feels like magic! 




Stay safe and enjoy retreat and sew day season!

Linking up with: 

Design Wall Monday 

Monday Musing 

Sew & Tell

Midweek Makers

Wednesday Wait Loss

To do Tuesday

Needle and Thread Thursday 

Free Motion Mavericks

Put Your Foot Down

Finished of Not Friday

Design Wall Friday

Foto Friday

TGIFF

    








22 comments:

  1. You have a wonderfully bright selection of projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , they certainly keep my eyes open!

      Delete
  2. A "random cloud of inspiration" - that turn of a phrase is such a perfect description of my life. LOL I'll need to remember that. See, you ARE a writer!! You have several awesome scrappy project going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do enjoy it. Love those random clouds. Spent a lovely afternoon with spouse and 2 grandkids playing snow with a bag of cotton balls! Very random but delightful!

      Delete
  3. Gosh what a productive retreat! You certainly have found the perfect group to sew with. Lovely quilts and blocks. So scrappy! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/24/wednesday-wait-loss-377

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , linky parties are such great places to share and learn!

      Delete
  4. what a very interesting pouch. Yours looks great. Tell me you were retreating for a week! I'm envious of all that you get done. Lots of fun things to look at today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just three days, I've never been on a longer one. That would fun tho, wouldn't it!

      Delete
  5. I do love the crumbs with wonky stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun to make and such a joy when they come together. I can barely give then away.

      Delete
  6. Love your pouch! And your quilts and blocks look great! The retreat sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you found some new friends to share your quilting passion with! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so necessary to have new and old friends! Valuable people all!

      Delete
  7. Wow, a lot was accomplished! How cute is this zippered fruit pouch! I love the string quilt, and this crumbs and wonky stars quilt is fascinating!
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful and creative week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! It was a great time.

      Delete
  8. You worked on lots of fun projects during the retreat. Congrats on all those colorful finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, those are great projects and that fruit pouch is so cute! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to figure out what to put in the pouch!

      Delete
  10. I love putting a srip of orphan blocks in my backings too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy. The bags are adorable and I love all the colors in the quilts. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple colors are always entertaining, and the brighter the better!

      Delete