Monday, November 7, 2022

Oh My Marie!

 It has been awhile since I did more sorting 

but I did go down that rabbit hole this week! 

Have you heard of the book, "If you give a Moose a Muffin"?

Well that is what happened.

It was time for my morning egg on toast soo..

I opened the cupboard with the oil and knocked over the 

tooth pick cup. 



I replaced the toothpicks and reached for the vegetable

oil but a really old olive oil jar was in the way. 


Then I noticed a container of poultry seasoning that 

I remember fell onto the floor during the holidays and 

spilled so I reached to the middle shelf to get the extra spices

and that was it. Onion powder needed refilling, 

as did Italian seasoning.

All the labels on the spice carousel were almost illegible sooo...

I got out the blue tape and a marker and went at them. 


Of course I found some mystery spices on the second shelf, 

as well as a bag of cinnamon bark that looked questionable, 

so out it went onto a plate to go to the compost.



  I think one unlabelled jar held ground cloves 

but I didn't want to end up with a Christmas 

of cumin cookies instead of ginger bread so off it went. 

Then there was a mistake of grinding up the rosemary leaves with

 some coriander that wasn't right so that went in the heap too.  

There was some pink salt, it joined its mates on the back of the stove,

a mysterious packet of some red stuff that might have been from 

an old BBQ spice gift set, 

but that was salvaged to go off to compost and the foil recycled,

and finally the ancient bottle of olive oil that 

will go on to live as callous softener. 


Look how empty this is!



All the extras are here.
( Do I really need that large box of cream of tarter!?)




Even the odd door spices got a rework with the likes combined.
(2 jars of Chinese 5 spice!)

I did discover 2 more packets of Italian seasoning mix, 

an extra Mrs. Dash and more black pepper and black pepper corns 

than we can use in a century.  I think I will try it as dog and 

cat repellant for some of my more delicate plants out back. 

Maybe I could even mix up mosquito deterrent with it!

I found a one liter container of dried parsley, (what were we

thinking!) but that will recycle well so no problem there. 

So  I will take the win on this sort and enjoy my newly 

labels spices and some nice oniony scrambled eggs. 

Stay Spicy!!





2 comments:

  1. You had me chortling through your spices. And, oh yes I know the book If you give a Moose a Muffin and the one about giving a mouse something that I can't remember what it was. Your journey through your spices is just like those books. But aren't you feeling terrific because you cleaned out the whole cabinet? Now back to quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouse a cookie!! Yes it does feel good!!!

    ReplyDelete