Friday, February 5, 2021

Little ones finding homes.


 I have a large and sometimes unruly

 pile of flimsies of all sizes .






They have been sorted out a few times

 during our current stay home and sew time.

 I find I have a lot without designated homes!!

 So when my sister called and

 wondered if I had a few small quilts ,

 I knew the answer! 

 Get sewing! 

So , I sent her pictures of the options. 

















A few of these small treasures 
appeared in scrap bags
that I have been gifted. 
 A few are fun projects
 that were made 
but never quilted. 
Some just seemed 
to end up in the pile . 


Inspired by the need, 
I dug into the store
 room and found some 
cozy backs that were purchased as 
throws at the local bargain store. 

The first one I chose to complete ,
 is a little snuggly, pink square.
 I thought this one would make a nice comfort
quilt for a little girl.



I backed it with a white ,
 warm and fuzzy back  with no batting.
Straight line quilting and it was ready to go. 

Since I had some white cuddly backing left, 
I tackled the purple mini next.
 
This, I recall, was a sample
demonstrating adding to 
a crazy patch square.
 It sewed up very nicely into 
a little baby cuddle blanket. 





I was really getting on a roll on
 a very cold and windy winter day!

The next day I was still so inspired by my 
accomplishment on the 2 minis that
I tackled the top that was hourglasses. 
Upon a closer look, 
there are friend ship stars
 at the top of the piece!
 Maybe the maker thought
they weren't bright enough,
 but they really compliment the quilt. 
I found a very nice red print , and 
used it for the border and the binding. 
The quilting was great fun on this one!
Zig zagging across the top
was a blast!
 And the stars really pop!




I found a beautiful 
blue flannel for the back .





The red border fabric
 held out and I had just 
enough left to piece 
the binding together to finish it!



Not much left for
 the scrap bag on this one!




That quilt took a few days, 
what with washing the backing
quilting to a great series,
 ( Yes I re-watched my geeky Mandalorian).


I chose a lattice block top for my next ,
" sister needs" item.





This block is one of my "go tos".
 I love the constant variety. 
It is such an interesting look every time!

It was designed by Ann Weber and showed
 up in an old MaCall's Quilting 2007.

I keep an ongoing " block box " 
of these parts on the shelf. 



Again I zig zagged thru 
the center lattice and 
it quilted up fast and fun.





 It got the remainder of a
soft , cream flannel for the back. 
 I had to piece in some
 flannel layer cake bits to get the size.


 
While digging in the bins for 
flannel, I found this lovely panel!
So , I use the major portion of the
cream flannel piece for this little charmer.
I really enjoyed the process 
of choosing what to accent with quilting. 
So much fun with 
a poufy 5 oz. poly batting!





Still pretty inspired and
 the weather still in the sub 20s 
( that is minus 20 degree Celsius here in Canada),
I got one more ready to go. 

This little top was hidden in a 
bag of scraps 
someone ( a Quilting Buddy) 
dropped off for me.


It got a cuddly flannel back
and quilted up like a dream. 










Then of course I had to ship all of these!

 I folded them to the size of my box. 
Then I hauled out a kitchen bag and
 the vacuum! 






                        


They shrunk down gloriously!

All 6 fit in an 10" x 12" x 8" box!

Big save on shipping!  




The weather channel says we are 

in for a cold stretch 

and I still have more tops needing homes.

Cant wait for my next productive

" sister needs quilts" 

sewing marathon!

( Not sure what to do with the purple and orange one!)


Stay safe and sew on!!!

6 comments:

  1. Such wonderful finishes! Give yourself a great big pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It was so rewarding to see that pile ! My sister received them last week and said the best thing ever! She texted and said, " It was like opening a rainbow!"

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous selection of small quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! So much fun to get into that creative/productive zone!

      Delete
  3. It must feel great to finish up all those sweet little flimsies. Congratulations on getting so much done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ,and it sure inspired me to do more! I am well into the quilting zone and am finishing my first "pink " quilt for a favorite toddler!

      Delete