Friday, May 12, 2023

Quilting under pressure---or not!

 Well sometimes things don't go as planned 

but we resolve the problem and carry on.

 Last Friday was an adventure!

The day started out  delightful! My sewjo is back in full 

force. I had even quilted up two tops and trimmed them,

don't they make a pretty pile! 


 All that productivity 

lead me to happily carry on into Friday night and begin

quilting up a large pink log cabin.

 Everything was going smoothly.


I was listening to a Marvel Movie, Universe of Madness

with good ole Dr. Strange.  Around 9:30 I flipped the quilt 

over and saw nothing but loose stiches and loops!!! Argh!

The madness got me. I had no choice but to grab Jack and 

start pulling.  The only good thing?  The stitches were loose 

enough to come out easily and the needle holes seemed to hold

the sandwich together so I didn't have to repin!  What a mess!

Threads everywhere! The removal took the rest of Friday and 

some of Saturday afternoon. Then I tried to figure out the 

problem . First changed the needle. This of course, lead me into a

 nice rewarding needle sort (don't all quilters have a little OCD

 lurking inside?). I set aside 2 extra packets of  jersey needles, 


some double needles (not sure why I have  those), 

and found 8 unknown needles I can use for jean repairs.

My needle stash is now down to a manageable size. 


After the little side sort and I was back on the case.

 I rethreaded and the test strip sew showed the same problem.

Hmm.  I'd pulled down the built-in walking 

foot when I started this top so I put it back up and 

used my zig zag foot.

Bingo, nice even stitches on the sample so I was back in business.

A bit of stitching Saturday and by Sunday evening, I could increase 

my pile of "quilted needing a binding". 


Quilting is always a learning experience!

Don't get loopy!

Stay safe and sew on!

Linking up with:

 Friday Nite with Friends

Finished or Not Friday

Off the Wall Friday 

Whoop, whoop!

RSC 2023

Peacock Party

Oh Scrap!

Design Wall Monday

Sunday Show and Tell

To Do Tuesday

Midweek Makers

Wednesday Wait Loss


 




17 comments:

  1. Pretty pile of quilts! I'm glad that you figured out what was the problem. These log cabins are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Log cabins are definitely my go to this year! Last year, it was string stars! The last 2 of those are out at the quilter's!

      Delete
  2. Oh, gosh, glad you solved that problem! How frustrating especially when you think things are going smoothly. Let the binding begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite alarming! Sewing along so confident and then bam! Loops everywhere!

      Delete
  3. Your pile of quilted quilts is definitely a fun and satisfying sight! So sorry that you had to undo some of it before you actually could call them finished. Glad you figured it out, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little mountain of quilts is fun to look at! On to bind!

      Delete
  4. And lots of it! I do like to make binding tho, so bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, and I machine bind so I can do it fairly quickly once I choose the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so glad you got your sewing mojo back! Yes, those quilts make a pretty stack. Love that top backing!
    I’m so sorry about your quilting experience – and yes I have a bit of OCD as well! Your story sounds like the book, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”! 😊
    Glad it all ended well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! Seems like quilters are very good problem solvers!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you figured out your loopy stitches! I think I used an incorrect needle on my latest project, because I could "feel" the stitches on the back - does that make sense? They should be smooth. But I didn't take them out - it was a wall hanging and no one but me will ever see it. ;) Anyway, welcome back to your mojo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get loopy - bwahh ha ha!! Glad you were able to diagnose the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even know what to do with my machine that isn't sewing right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! What a mess. On the good side you found the problem, fixed it and got that quilt done! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooof! Well, way to just jump in there and rip it all out immediately before it "festered" (as in: gets more annoying the longer it sits!). Yay for finding the issue!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I struggled last week with some quilting as well. It turned out that my foot pedal was worn out and I couldn't control the speed. New foot pedal and all is well again... all this after changing a needle, cleaning and lube, and tension adjustments. Thanks for sharing in sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb it's good to know that others have the same tension issue of they change feet. I'm glad you got he issue sorted (and your needles) but did not enjoy reading you have to unsew all of the quilting. Hope this week went well for you and you had lots of fabric fun. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete