Saturday, January 22, 2022

REDdy to go ! Sneaking up fast !

 January is flying by ! 

Lots to do and lots going on !

New house , cold weather and some travel!

( In country only so no worries!!)

Getting lots of stitching done too 

so that is a big bonus.

First off , I almost have a scrap 

management plan. After years of 

trying to follow along and embrace 

other schedules, mine has emerged. 

I have many scraps in bags separated by color. 


I follow along with RSC 22 color of 

the month and wrangle that scrap bag 

into a big clear bin.



 Then I fire up the iron, press, sort, sew

 and trim into various units and shapes. 

These string blocks are perfect for 

many designs so doing up these 

will replenish my block bank .

 The color family 

blocks always delight the eye!

I am also cutting my scrap list and 

putting the pieces into labelled bins. 



  
There are also big bins of mixed colors to sort

They are getting sorted by colors into the 

color bags. Slow and steady should have them 

redistributed by year end, ever hopeful!

For now, here is the progress . 

Lots of string sets sewn up :



Labelled boxes with squares and 

strips:



Crumb blocks of all colors:





Scraps bags are labelled and straightened:

and here are bins and bags to sort!



Some regular sewing was completed this week too!
I made a good start on the Stop & Goes ( Leaders & Enders)
for the B Hunter hourglass quilt. 
I don't have nearly as many white background 
prints as I thought!









The 6" wide red coin strips were combined
with some lights strips sets from the 
block bank to make a good start on a 
red coin quilt!




Excited with the first month of color!
What's up next!?!
 
Linking up with :



















26 comments:

  1. What a lot of sorting you have done - and lots more to come apparently. Good luck. I love string blocks, great to make and great to use. Also Coin quilts. Your red one is coming on nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the sorting, Deb. Looks like you had SEW much fun with the RED scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And still having fun with red! Just a few more crumb blocks and on to the next color!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, that's an awful lot of scrap pieces to sort through, good luck with that. String blocks are always a great way to use up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, baby you should see all MY scraps! Not going there right now though. My goal this year is to (hopefully) use up all the Christmas fabrics that I purchased in the 1990's! That is over 100 fabrics, now most of it cut into 4 useable widths. Started sewing today! I have too many 15 gallon bins of fabric and these are nicely aged. Time to get them outa here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hear you ! But , it is like a treasure hunt when I open those bins! Good luck to us! Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  6. Gosh, just look at all those orderly bags filled with scraps. You must have a lot of fun sorting this scrappylicious delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like that, scrappylicious delight! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scraps overwhelm us. You seem to have a good way to make a dent in yours. I may need to just sew strips together forever to even make a small dent. Good job this week in making red units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened a bin today and found more reds! They are all pressed now and I am donating the 1" strips and will trim and sew up the rest! Stay safe and sew on!

      Delete
  9. I love scraps but not sorting them. A local online quilt shop is just having a sale, I ordered 10 fatquarters in cream for background scrappy quilts! Love Bonnie Hunter scrappy quilts. Kathryn Quilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pop during a snow storm, and picked up some low volume backgrounds for the hourglass stop and go quilt. ( leaders and enders) I am making it a RSC !
      Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  10. Looking so organized!!! I'm doing RSC this year, too, for the first time! I'm pretty excited about it and am enjoying seeing what everyone is doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun, and it does drive you a little to get thru your scraps!
      Soo.... Have fun and welcome to the scrap!

      Delete
  11. Wow, you're making tons of progress getting organized. It's so worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I was such a skeptic! One month in I feel like an expert. Now I just have to stick with it! Stay safe and sew on!

      Delete
  12. Great progress on your red scraps. So many great ways to use strings. Looking forward to the new color -- aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You are one organized scrap quilter!! I may steal that bag idea - its brilliant!! Love the projects you are working on - The QST one looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to it! It does seem to work , but I still have lots of treasure hunting to do in those bins! Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  14. I like where your reds are going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow your scrap management is impressive. Love the strings, always! Those crumb blocks are so cute, as are the coins.
    Thank you for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Managing scraps in an ongoing challenge. Sort,press,cut, organize. Repeat! I like your style. Hourglass Leaders and Enders, Coin Strips! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you've got a great start on taming the scrap monster! Love all your red scrappy projects! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete