Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Reason I Have UFOs

 I have had an epiphany !!!

In working thru my UFOs , I have discovered something startling. 

Many of my UFOs have issues.  

I thought most of my UFO s were the 

result of DSD ( Dreaded Squirrel Distractions) or 

FASPS ( Found a shiny penny  syndrome) . 

I was hoping some of them just needed a binding, or

maybe an extra block.  Unfortunately, many of mine have serious 

difficulties and need some heavy duty quilty solutions.  


This is what I have discovered so far and 

some of the solutions planned for them. 


The Curved Log cabin- has narrow seams and 

some pulled apart. This one I had tightly quilted 

and will  topstitch the open seams. It is all bound and we use and

 display it, with the pins still marking the areas needing work! 




True confessions, we  often slept under Big Red 

when it was half stitched and had pins holding the 

batting in place around the edges. 


The Stretched stars 



The base block was not a standard size, 

so additional charm blocks had to be cut 

        down to make more rows. A top was unearthed during an

organizing spree, but I have many blocks left of 2 sizes so 

now they are another ufo. 

The Square Dance - The on point setting created gaps in edges.




This was one of my first attempts using quilter's fuse on a 

large, on point project. 

  I am adding a sashing and it will be " a softer square dance"

with no sharp corners as I have to sew 

over the edges of the outside squares to add the sashing. 

Curved nine patch- Discovered an easier way 

to get the same effect with less work. ( Thank you 

Jenny Doan)  This is not an issue, more of a disenchantment. 


I will combine these with some other blocks to 

make a complete top. 

That is the plan so far.  

My UFOs and Gifted Goodies live 

in a basket on a shelf.  It would be 

very nice to clear it out a bit this year. 

Stay safe and sew on!


Linking up with : 

Design Wall Monday 

Monday Musings

Sew & Tell

To do Tuesday

Wednesday Wait Loss

Midweek Makers

Design Wall Friday

Finished or Not Friday

Whoop Whoop!

Patchwork & Quilts

Oh Scrap 

RSC 2024

Stitching Stuff






 




19 comments:

  1. Whoaaaaa! UFOs are abundant at my home. I have slowly been finishing a few this year. I think I have hit a road block and am on a start a new thing detour. Finding yours is a good thing. Identifying the problem is the second step. So now that you have "marinated" on them, I hope you get motivated to finish some. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, now that I know and name the problem, I can find the solution!. Unless I gift the final quilt to a quilter, the change in design will never come to light. I will have a complete project too , so it is a win win situation!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, this is a troublesome post. Did I really read that you slept under a quilt with pins in it? Were they safety pins (I hope). Sorry you are finding troublesome UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol , yes we did! I was hand quilting it and it took a long time. The batting kept coming out the side so I pinned the backing over the batting to the front with safety pins. They after two years or so , I gave up and finished the quilt by machine.

      Delete
  3. I agree, a lot of my UFOs have issues/problems as the reason I stopped working on them. But now, after a few years, I have found a way to finish them, just as you are doing. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plan, and I think it will result in a lot of finishes this year. Funny how we think we get distracted and abandon a project but it turns out to be disappointment and frustration. You've done a lovely job working through that and finding great solutions! Kudos. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/21/wednesday-wait-loss-368

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support. I would love to finish up all the loose ends. When I do finish one, it is a great boost! Stay safe and sew on !

      Delete
  5. Good plan - I laughed at Found a Shiny Penny Syndrome!! Thats a real thing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you did a great job at assessing and finding solutions. Good luck with moving those UFOs to finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , I hope to be able to post on some of the "Finished Project " linky parties!

      Delete
  7. Oh my -- I'm so glad someone else sticks pins in finished quilts that point to something that needs to be done. You seem to be making progress through your UFOs. I do make progress every once in a while and then there are the missing blocks I haven't found for a couple of weeks. (Maybe I should actually look for them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to remake the blocks and then find the previously made ones and then end up with enough for a baby quilt! The pineapple I have out for quilting worked out like that . Always room for more quilts!

      Delete
  8. Fun DSD and FASPS issues ;)) Sorry about these UFO with trouble, but you seem to have found a great solution that will work well.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Quilters are definitely a resourceful bunch! Happy stitching!

      Delete
  9. I think you are right- when hitting a bump I stall. trying to clear ufos I am heard repeating often 'what was i thinking'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, many weird ideas stop us in our tracks, "But it seemed like it should work?" Happy stitching!

      Delete
  10. I've decided to give away most of my UFOs to our guild to sell at our big quilt show this summer! Love your acronyms - DSD and FASPS - I can relate! LOL Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete