Saturday, July 22, 2023

Bargain for a finish?!

 Well that big ole' squirrel is all sewn up  and the 

back is a bargain to boot!!

Here it is!  It is going into the pile to be quilted soon 

and may even end up as one of my cozy collection. 


It measures 74" x  76" and is heavy for top. 

A single batt should be perfect and it will be a 

very warm quilt for winter. 

It really surprised me since I had assumed 

selvages would not have a lot of color. 

There ended up to be many greens, 



orange/browns, 



blues 


and reds,



 with just a few purple and yellows. 

I did not include blacks, browns or pink.  I felt 

they would give a different tone to the quilt. 

A back of yellow batik will set it off nicely and 

the muted color will be beautiful as a binding.

The batik was actually found at a thrift shop!



Many thrifters find treasures in thrift stores 

and now I can add my self to the list of lucky shoppers!

This bolt was priced at a stunning $9.50 and contains

8 meters of good quality batik. 

I machine bind my quilts so the tough needling of the 

batik shouldn't be a problem. 

There are only a few stray selvages kicking around the 

sewing room so I believe , " my work with selvages is done! "


Linking up with:

Finished or Not Friday

RSC 2023


Off the Wall Friday

Peacock Party

Friday Foto Fun

Patchwork and Quilts

FNSI

Oh Scrap!

Design Wall Monday

Sew & Tell

Wait Loss Wednesday

Sew & Tell

Needle and Thread Thursday






14 comments:

  1. Your selvage quilt top looks fantastic! I'm not surprised to hear that it is heavy. Lucky you to find that bolt of batik at the thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I cut the backing last night and am very excited to put it together!!

      Delete
  2. Good on you, selvedges multiply like rabbits, so great work using up most of them in this quilt. You certainly scored a bargain with the backing fabric. I seldom check out
    Thrift shops, I really should check them out for bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky there 3 times, once a beautiful quilt top, once 9 meters nature print and now the yellow batik!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful way to use selvages, the hexy shape is perfect for them! Love the way you arranged them. I guess the quilting design that you will choose will be very light, it looks like there are a lot of seams and thickness. It's going to be a very cozy quilt.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful finish, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I finally did hexies! Many of my sew friends do epp hexies but my brain wont let me work like that. These large hexie tick that box!

      Delete
  4. That is such a cool quilt with all those selvages!!!
    and congrats on the great find!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It is so much fun stumbling across something really useful!

      Delete
  5. That is an amazing project! I love it when I find large pieces of fabric at thrift stores. Treasure indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a creative way to use your selvages! Interesting that it's a heavy quilt. I guess that's because the selvages are denser than the main fabric? Anyway what a lovely result. Can't wait to see how this looks when quilted. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/26/wednesday-wait-loss-338

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bang on, tighter, heavier weave and lots of thread in the many seams. It was a lot of fun .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish!! I love selvage quilts. It is truly amazing the color you end up after thinking it would be mostly lights. Good find on the batik. I'm still not a Lucky Thrifter! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who'd have thought that selvedges could shimmer? What a beauty! And, yes, all those seams make selvedge projects heavy. Great thrift score, too.

    ReplyDelete